In this episode, Kathi admits to being resistant to making Instagram reels. Perhaps you feel the same way. Tiffany Jo Baker, podcast producer and reel maker extraordinaire, is here to challenge Kathi and all her listeners to keep it simple and start making some reels!
Reels are short video clips which are perfect for promoting your message on Instagram and Facebook. Kathi and Tiffany Jo have made a pact to do one reel per week. Want to join them? Here are some step-by-step instructions to get started making your own reel:
- Record a video of yourself saying or reading something vertically on your phone (5-90 seconds).
- While on Instagram, click + (top right) and select Reel.
- Click + (bottom left) to find your video from your phone media gallery.
- Click ADD (top right).
- Click PREVIEW (bottom right) to see your video as a reel.
- Click GIF (smiley face) on top of the screen. Click CAPTIONS and DONE. (You can then move and size the captions/words with your fingers like you do on a touchscreen.)
- Click the down arrow at the top of the screen to save your video to your gallery in case IG glitches and you lose what you’ve done.
- Click NEXT (bottom right).
- Select cover (could be a still shot from your video OR click where it says ADD from your gallery if you have designed a graphic).
- Add caption (words about the reel) with a CTA (call to action, example: share with a friend or put praise hands or Amen in the comments if you agree) and 10-30 hashtags. (What hashtags are your people following?) It’s also great to include the CTA in your actual video for maximum effectiveness. Engagement lets IG know it is great content and they will show it and share it more.
- Slide the little bar to be able to share to your feed. You can add a location and crop profile image here too.
- Share to post. Also share your reel to your stories from your feed.
And remember: speak to your niche, keep it simple, and shorter is best. If you try it, be sure to let us know and put a link in the comments!
Want to hear Tiffany Jo’s advice on “How to Be an Awesome Podcast Guest”? Here are links to those recordings:
Inside Scoop: Sign up for the Writing Tip Newsletter at Writing at the Red House to get Kathi’s 7 Day Platform Plan for free.
Meet Your Hosts
Author, Speaker, Writing at the Red House Creator and CEO
Tiffany Jo Baker
Podcast host, Podcast producer, Author, Speaker
Tiffany Jo Baker is a caffeinated mom of two teen girls, surrogate mom who has delivered five babies for three families dealing with infertility, proud dog-mom, and wife to an extreme outdoorsman. She is a podcast host, author, speaker, and strategizer who loves to uplift the soul and success of busy Christian women through mapping out simple strategies and small steps for them to birth their God-given dreams. She provides soul care, strategy sessions, communication workshops and purposeful products for communicators, ministry leaders and online entrepreneurs who are walking out what God has called and created them to do online, at home, and in the real world.
Does the idea of...
Do you have a strong...
366 3 Reasons for Ruthless Honesty and Obsessive Truth-Telling as a Christian Writer with Jennifer Dukes Lee
Do you ever wonder if...